Driving home one day I spotted a director’s chair by the side of the road with a FREE sign posted on it. I’m sorry I failed to photograph the chair in its original condition.
Sometimes I jump into projects and then realize that it is post worthy.
Inspecting the chair I saw that the only reason it was discarded was that the seam that formed the seat portion had come unstitched. Although the chair’s red color doesn’t match my décor it was my intention to just resew the seat panel. By removing a couple of screws the frame should be easy to dismantle. Well, it wasn’t quite as easy as it would appear. The screws were frozen in place.
There is a lot of truth in the old adage,“ If it shouldn’t move and it does, use duct tape.”
I sprayed a little WD-40 on the screws, they still wouldn’t budge. I gave them an additional squirt and left the WD-40 to work its way into the corroded threads.
Providentially, I was out thrift store shopping and I came across a piece of brown fabric. Brown does match my décor and this was nice sturdy canvas that would work perfectly for a director’s chair. I’m so thankful when that happens.
By now the WD-40 had done its job. I removed both the seat and back panel from the chair. Then used them as my pattern to cut a new seat and back from my $2.99 brown canvas.
My extensive stash of sewing supplies includedthe browned brown buttonhole thread and heavy-duty needles I would need. The canvas was almost too much for my sewing machine to handle. The finished product is strong but the stitching leaves something to be desired.
I’m pretty pleased with the outcome despite the crooked stitching and the residual chalk marks that will wear off in time. I doubt that anyone will notice, especially when they are sitting on the chair. Since this chair folds so compactly it will be perfect on my back porch. I can store it away until I need extra seating for company.